What are the signs that you need waterproofing? House maintenance always goes hand in hand with waterproofing. It is a crucial component of keeping your house structure strong and durable.
Unfortunately, moisture is capable of dealing a lot of damage to the materials of the house. It weakens the wooden walls, deteriorates concrete, and causes the corrosion of metals. Not to mention the bad smells that appear as a result of moisture causing mold growth.
With that in mind, waterproofing becomes inevitable and indispensable in keeping the house in a good condition. But how to know that you need waterproofing? Here are the most common signs that should become a convincing reason to start waterproofing.
Cracks in the foundation of the house should be a cause for concern. They mean that your house is vulnerable to storm water and flooding and needs immediate reinforcement. You especially need to keep an eye on cracks if you live in an area with a rainy weather.
Cracks weaken the foundation and can evolve into a considerable damage and even the collapse of the house. That’s why, you must take even a tiny crack serious and treat it as a major threat.
The faster you start waterproofing, the safer you are and the more money you save on future damage repairs. Consider also the fact that any new rainy day will make the crack larger and let more water inside.
Excess moisture will do a great job of stimulating mold and mildew growth, so you have to act promptly.
A musty smell should be a strong warning for you that something is not right with your house. Most of the time, the persisting sharp smell will show to the damage in the structure of the house.
If the smell intensifies after rainfalls, it’s more than probable that moisture has penetrated the structural parts of your home. The presence of of water beneath the floor or walls inevitably leads to mold and mildew breeding.
They are the very culprit for the nasty smell that travels inside the house. Mold not only triggers a bad smell, but it also contributes to the gradual deterioration of the house structure. So you need to act fast and start waterproofing without any second hesitating.
Stains on walls can be of any nature so it might be hard to identify dried outside moisture stains. Well, it is actually very easy to understand that moisture has invaded your house foundation and is sipping through the walls.
If you notice watermarks all over your house, it means you are in trouble. It means that there is moisture beneath the floor and walls that are right now helping mold to bloom.
Moreover, multiple watermarks also show to the existence of cracks in the foundation of your house. It’s a double risk that endangers even more the structural durability of your home. Your most reasonable decision in this situation is to immediately start waterproofing.
Remember, the more you tolerate the moisture inside, the more damage it will cause in the long run. So you are better off acting promptly.
Falling prey to mold-related illnesses frequently is also a sign that your house has poor waterproofing. If your family members struggle with flu or other respiratory diseases too often, it’s a cause for concern.
Most probably, the toxic varieties of mold are the cause and you should check the house for moisture leaks and mold. If you find mold beneath the floorboards or walls, you need to proceed with making your house waterproof.
The harsh varieties of mold will not only deteriorate the structural parts of your house, but will also affect your health. You will have to pay lots of money on home repairs and disease treatments in the future.
That’s why, you must take action as soon as possible to make your house mold-free.
In conclusion, waterproofing is indispensable, so you need to keep an eye on signs saying you have to do it. These include cracks in the foundation that get larger anytime it rains, weakening the structure of your house.
Along with them come a musty smell from mold beneath walls and floor and watermarks inside the house. Frequent respiratory diseases related to toxic mold particles are also a sign that your home is poorly waterproofed.